Saturday, July 16, 2005

My Shuttle Memory

I have only had one encounter with the Space Shuttle (besides a trip to Kennedy Space Center), but it has left a mark on me that will last forever.

Our boat was pulled in to P-Can (Port Canaveral Weapons Station) to do a pers-trans. Because we were still on mod-alert we weren't allowed to take on lines. It was 8:00 AM and colors began to play on shore. The pilot that would be guiding us out of the harbor was in the bridge with us, and he mentioned that the shuttle was due to land any minute over at Cape Canaveral and if we heard a "double sonic-boom" then we should look for the shuttle.

As the Captain stood in the flying bridge, saluting colors, and the Star Spangled Banner played over the speakers I hear a "Boom Boom" and look up to see the shuttle directly overhead.

It was by far and away the most patriotic moment of my life, and one of my favorite memories from the boat.

Posted by Bubblehead Wyoming

7 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Blogger Lubber's Line said...

Bubblehead WY, great Space Shuttle story here's another good one over at QMSS.com. The Space Shuttle when the USS Kamehameha (SSBN 642) witnessed the forth Shuttle launch passing directly overhead while on a surface transet into PCAN.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Carmi said...

What an amazing story. How lucky you are to have experienced that. I once called my mother--in-law in Florida when, as I was tracking a shuttle landing, realized the track was right over my in-laws' town. She pooh-poohed me, saying she was too tired to go outside to listen and watch for it.

Um, OK.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

that is an amazing story.

Christine sent me

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Humor Girl said...

wow...thanks for sharing. :)

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger void said...

Great recollections; I'm enjoying everything I read. Thanx for sharing!

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Laura said...

ummm----------

visit my blog and post a comment www.hamsterloverlaura.blogspot.com

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Brainy435 said...

I went through the Nuc pipeline in Orlando. Every time the shuttle would launch we would go to the circle and watch it take off. We couldn't see the initial launch, of course, but it was pretty easy to see it once it got to the right altitude.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home