Tuesday, May 31, 2005

SubManDave on the San Francisco Grounding

Originally posted 2240 02 Feb:

Submandave provides his take on the USS San Francisco grounding in the form of a Q and A that you should check out. I realize that I should have done that a while ago; I forget that some of my readers might not be submariners. While you're over there, check out the rest of submandave's blog.

In other submarine news, here's an amusing little story from a local Australian paper about a sub surfacing off their coast (probably near Warrnambool, in Victoria) to do a perstrans (personnel transfer). Not sure which sub it is, but it's an Australian Collins-class boat, like HMAS Collins, shown here.

Update 1554 03 Feb: The Herald Sun article confirms that the sub sighted off Victoria was Australian. I'm not sure there was much doubt to start that this was the case, but I guess it's nice to have it confirmed.

Coming attraction: This post by Ninme got me thinking about all that Poland has done for us in the Global War on Terror. I worked very closely with the Poles and their contingent in Iraq when I was stationed at the Coalition Coordination Center at US CENTCOM, and I'm frustrated that more people aren't aware of how they've really gone the extra mile as our allies, and how I think we could do more to show our appreciation. Expect an entry in the next few days.

Edited to remove a stupid update about how I thought my blog was broken because my cat walked across the keyboard when I was making an entry; she actually just changed the font size setting on my browser. I know, I'm an idiot... On the other hand, I did figure out how to get a blogroll started; I'll work on that probably tomorrow. While I'm here, I suppose I should thank all the visitors that tonight took me over 20,000 total page views since I started the blog. Thanks!

Update 2346 02 Feb: Checking E-mail just before hitting the rack, I found my weekly missive from Military.com. Included was a link to an article by Joe Buff containing his thoughts on possible lessons learned from the San Francisco grounding. I didn't read it too closely, except to see a suggestion that sub crews should possibly be provided with crash helmets to wear during high-speed runs. My initial reaction was not positive, but I figured I'd leave it to the overnight crew to see if there was maybe something good in the article. The comments are open...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home