Wednesday, May 24, 2006

USS Topeka (SSN 754) on '24'

[Crossposted from Unconsidered Trifles]

Anybody see the two-hour season finale of 24? For you sub vets, what did you think of the opening scenes on board the "Russian" submarine (aka USS Topeka)?

I wasn't bothered by the fact that they played a bit fast and loose with the facts--I was instead (a.) too dorkily nostalgic to see a boat that I didn't mind (b.) very impressed by their creative use of the restricted spaces of the forward compartment (& topside) -- can you imagine trying to film a hit TV show there!?

There's also this nice bit of info:
Some local sailors even collected off-duty pay as extras, Anderson says, and the Hyatt Islandia rented about 150 rooms to the cast and crew.
But what about you? Did you like the way they used the boat? Did you see any sailor extras that you recognized?

Above all--did you enjoy the season finale?! This was my first season watching 24--what can you tell me about what to expect next year?

2 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger Bubblehead said...

Since Topeka's my first boat, I was very interested in the episode. I expected to hate it, but I ended up deciding that they probably did the best they could with the (most excellent) prop they were given. Since it was supposed to be a Russian sub, they could play a little more fast and loose with the facts. I wrote some more about what I thought here.

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i used to cook on board the 707 and the LT that ran up to give jack the Phone i had on our boat tad from the slc all i could think was "Vanduzer got fat and he's wearing bars!" it had been close to if not over 10 yrs since i had seen him or been anywhere near pt loma but i know seeing that boat on that show and anytime i think about it i miss it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home