Thursday, September 07, 2006
The fire caused an automatic shutdown of the nuclear reactor on board the K-414 Daniil Moskovsky, a Victor III class nuclear-powered submarine, and was quickly extinguished.
"Most probably it was a short circuit [in the electrical compartment]," Russian Navy Commander Vladimir Masorin said.
Masorin said two sailors involved in extinguishing the fire died because they did not put on gas masks immediately. The other sailor was affected by carbon monoxide after his gas mask ran out of oxygen, but his life is out of danger already. (Click here for more.....)