Friday, June 29, 2007

Passing Of A True Hero -- Gene Fluckey


I just received an E-mail from one of Admiral Gene Fluckey's grandchildren, passing on a message from one of RADM Fluckey's shipmates aboard USS Barb (SS 220):

Dear Barb Shipmates and Friends

It is my very sad duty to advise that our beloved skipper, Admiral
Eugene B. Fluckey, went on Eternal Patrol at 11:45PM EDT 28 June 2007.
He was in the Hospice Unit at Anne Arundel Hospital, Annapolis MD.
He will be cremated and inurned in the Columbarium at the Naval Academy.
A service will be held at the Naval Academy Chapel with inurnment
following, at a later date,estimated at least four weeks.
All will be advised when arrangements are complete.

He is at Peace.
Here's what I wrote about him last year, when it was clear his health was starting to fail. I haven't seen anything in the news to confirm this yet (other than this post from Rontini, which is pretty good confirmation), but the nature of the E-mail (and the fact that the writer of said E-mail is listed in Thunder Below as one of Admiral Fluckey's shipmates) convinced me that I should share this sad yet ultimately uplifting news with Gene's submarine brothers. I know in my heart that he truly is now at peace. Sailor, Rest Your Oar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home