Thursday, June 02, 2005

Glad to be here

Aloha, shipmates, from the best submarine homeport in the Navy (you guessed it, Pearl Harbor). I'm honored to be asked aboard for what looks to be a lively blog on the best community in the Navy, the Submarine Force.

I'm a nuke (I'm sure that will get some fireballs flying), and as you probably guessed I'm stationed in Pearl Harbor, where I've done tours at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard and aboard USS TUCSON (SSN-770) and USS CHEYENNE (SSN-773), and out of which I've made two WESTPACs (including that long, long 9-monther at the start of the Iraq war...CHEYENNE was the first missle shooter of the war!)

That being said...

Overheard on the conn of a fast-attack submarine (I'm not telling which one...to protect the guilty!):

Junior Officer of the Deck (JOOD), while looking through the periscope - "There it is again!"
Officer of the Deck (OOD) - "What?"
JOOD - "That light...the last two times we came to periscope depth, it's been there...right behind us. I think we're being followed."
OOD - "Let me take a look."

A few seconds later...

OOD - "You're right, that is close...I'm calling the skipper to have a look."

Meanwhile...

Chief of the Watch (COW) to the Auxiliary Electrician Foward (AEF) - "Secure the anchor light."
AEF - Secure the anchor light, aye."

1 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger bothenook said...

dick o'kane told the story of being in the middle of the south pacific, hunting japanese shipping, when the lookout reported an airplane coming over the horizon. after a crash dive, they realized the young lookout was looking at venus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home