Thursday, February 02, 2006

how to tell if you are really a nuke

here's an excerpt from a post over at my blog

an explanation of the following comment. after getting out of the nav, i worked as a nuclear shift test engineer (code 2340 for any of you poor souls that went through yard periods). that gave me access to all kinds of neat toys.
on with the excerpt

i used to keep a 3 way main steam stop bypass valve on my desk at work. i could always tell who was truly a nuke or not within seconds. if you came to my desk, saw the valve, and DIDN'T pick it up, take it apart, and put it back together while standing there talking to me, you probably weren't a nuke.
there just seems to be a natural curiosity in the breed. most of them would ignore the wooden puzzle box, but were unable to leave the valve alone.

so my question to you all is: what characteristics have you noted when dealing with nukes?

1 Comments:

At 5:53 AM, Blogger WillyShake said...

How about an inordinate desire--no, check that...an inordinate need--to "have the book out".

I've found myself--and fellow nuke friends--always pulling out the procedure and at least making sure it's 'on the scene'. From making lasagna, to repairing a clogged bathtub drain, I must "have the book out" regardless of whether I even need to take a glance at it!"

A funny recent example was the above-mentioned tub repair. I'm very proud of myself--a former "O-ganger"--for knowing how to successfully clear a drain with an auger or "snake" (the A-ganger's wet dream -- literally! ha-ha). But the funny thing is not so much a former officer getting his hands dirty (well, mucky actually), but that I had my girlfriend sit nearby with a laptop on which we had called up several websites detailing how to clear clogged drains and how to use a 'snake'!

LOL

She was a great help...and we checked the block for observed maintenance for the week. LOL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home