Sunday, August 07, 2005

Of Hope and Jealousy

Hearing the happy ending to this story of the stranded Russian mini-sub, I must confess that my first reaction was to quote Sean Connery in Hunt for Red October and not Shakespeare! (note: link is to sound file!)

Ramius: "And the sea will grant each man new hope, as sleep brings dreams of home"... Christopher Columbus.

Now, don't all you engineer types go getting all critical and un-poetic--yes, I know that technically the sea had nothing to do with it, it was good ol' Yankee, er, Brit know-how.

Speaking of which, I've had the same thought as Bubblehead (et al) since this whole thing wrapped up, which is:

How did we let the Brits beat us?

Trivial perhaps, and yet in light of future emergencies, I think we best be sure we have it "all in one sock" so to speak.

2 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger Robert Schumacher said...

I think it matters not in a competitive sense, but in a sense of figuring out why we weren't able to get there in a more timely manner. There were obviously some logistic issues and it would be best to learn from them and fix the problems so the next time there isn't a delay. See, next time the Brits may run into "traffic jams", and we'd certainly want to have their back.

 
At 4:17 AM, Blogger WillyShake said...

Well said, Rob. Perhaps my original statement was poorly phrased: I don't care who "won" so long as the men were saved...BUT, I want to make sure that our teams were performing optimally.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home